Thursday 3 November 2016

Be Scrappy, Happy.

My friend Mary Oram recently designed a beautiful cushion as part of an Instagram competition and won first prize.  I absolutely LOVED the design when I saw it and offered to pattern test it for her:

Mary's winning competition entry.
The pattern was very easy to make.  I used a mixture of low volume fabrics for the background and a combination of yellow, orange and lime fabrics for the crosses. The circles are cut from felt and I have used some Kaffe Fassett Collective prints in the centre of the felt circles.

The top is pieced and the embellishments are ready to be attached.
I used Perle 8 thread to hand quilt the top and to embellish the felt circles.

A close up of one of the circles.  The Kaffe circle of fabric has been attached to the felt circle using needle turn applique and then I have used a Perle 8 thread to attach the felt circle to the top using a blanket stitch.
I have then hand quilted around the perimeter of the felt circles using a black Perle 8 thread.
Hand quilting around the circles.  I have also hand quilted around the coloured crosses using a Perle 8 thread in matching colours (orange, yellow & lime green).
My completed cushion.

And now my beautiful cushion proudly sits on the futon with my other newly made cushions.  The hexie cushions were recently made using "Comma" by Zen Chic for Moda.  I also have two cushions made using Jodie Carleton's fabrics "Bunny Trail" and "The Cat's Pyjamas"
The view from my chair.

Mary Oram's cushion pattern "Be Scrappy, Happy" is due to be released in an upcoming edition of Make Modern Magazine. I assume it will appear in the next edition which is #14. 

You can follow Mary on Instagram, her account is @PoppinsPatch

2 comments:

  1. Pretty cool texture on the pillow. What a fun piece it turned out to be! Good job.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback.