Sunday 24 August 2014

The Two of Us



"The Two of Us" is a little carry bag stitchery design by one of my favourite Australian Designers  - Rosalie QuinlanThe original pattern is designed to be a child's bag measuring in at just 25cm (10"). 

When I showed the kit to my Mum she immediately tried to claim it for herself so I made her a deal that she couldn't resist - if I could hand sew the embroidered section and supply her with some pretty fabrics, then she could make it into a handbag and keep it for herself.  My Mum no longer hand sews (her eyesight is slowly deteriorating with age), but as a former dressmaker and a handbag addict she has recently started to make handbags. 

It didn't take me too long to finish stitching the small panel - I often tend to hand stitch on my down days or at night when I am watching TV. I found some Tanya Whelan fabrics in my stash that seemed to go well with the design so I gave these to Mum.

Stitching requires chocolate! ;0)

Some weeks later I happened to be at her house and caught her just as she was about to machine stitch the embroidered panel onto a larger backing fabric.  Both came back home with me so that I could chain-stitch around the join instead as stitching this by machine would have looked oh so wrong!

 

A week later Mum proudly showed me the finished bag.. she has added a few internal pockets to it as well.

Front View
Back View

 
So there you have it - "The Two of Us" by... the two of us! 

The fabric used is Tanya Whelan's "Valentine Rose".

2 comments:

  1. It looks great! I didn't know you had started a blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess, yes I just started it a few days ago so that I could enter the butterfly challenge. Still learning how to work it. I've just added three tabs at the top with my quilting bee work.

      Delete

Thank you for your feedback.